Saturday, February 11, 2012

featured teacher author: Heather Richards

Featured Teacher Author


1.     How long have you been on Teachers Pay Teachers?  What made you decide to be a part of it?
I just reached my one year anniversary. I was just getting into sharing my teacher materials when Laura Candler recommended me to the site.

2.     When did you know that you wanted to be in education?
When I was in college I "thought" I wanted to be a lot of things which just turned out to be hobbies (plus came in handy in the classroom later on). Finally I got serious and went back to my childhood dream.

3.     How are you currently involved in education?
I am in my 6th year of being a 5th grade teacher. We are departmentalized so I am the reading teacher.

4.     What would be your advice to people who are considering joining Teachers Pay Teachers?

DO it!! The people are AMAZING and supportive. You learn so much, it makes you a better teacher, and makes you want to strive to make better quality materials for your store as well as your own classroom.

5.     What has been a highlight, thus far, about being on Teachers Pay Teachers?
Learning how to improve the things I was using in my own classroom. I was given an opportunity to see how other teachers were creating things, talk with pro teachers with tons of experience, and gain friends at the same time.

6.     What is something fun about you that other teachers don’t know?
I love to paint and draw with charcoal. I love to get on stage and put on a show for my students. I create parody songs of popular music and create words to be educational... then we perform them on stage at our AR celebrations :)

7.     Do you participate in education outside of the classroom?  In what type of role?
I am an AVID coordinator for my school so I have been given the opportunity to travel and experience the AVID program not only in my classroom but at a manager level. Such a great program.

8.     What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
I would LOOOOVE to be a children's author. I am currently working on a fantasy fiction novel right now... but between two children under the age of 4... the novel is still in major progress....

9.     What profession would you not like to do?
Anything that was just a boring desk job. I think I have hobby ADD. I must do different things off and on. So being a teacher is perfect! I can create new lessons and materials and do new things in my classroom all the time!

10. Who is your favorite author?  Favorite educational author?  And why?
I love Brandon Mull of the Fablehaven Series. I enjoy the Twilight series and the Sookie Stackhouse series.... I guess you could say I have a thing for Vampires and Fairies lol

There is such imagination in these books. I can get caught up in them for hours, they have inspired my creativity, and awakened my lower readers to want to read.


by Heather Richards
Heather's TPT store



Heather's Prized Products


I like my What's The Truth George series. It is what started me on this journey. I love technology and this brings technology and history together in an interesting way.
I like my Power Point reading skills. It is a great way to get kids thinking and reviewing while letting them take advantage of a smartboard.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...