Saturday, February 2, 2013

Featured Teacher: Donna



         What is your most memorable field trip experience?
One year I took a group of gifted students to a science museum. It was the perfect field trip. We were studying the topics of the day. My students took over the question and answer section. My favorite quote from the day occurred when one of my students was asked what would happen if his breath was taken away. He replied with the most natural answer, "I would die." To this day, I don't remember what the answer was suppose to be but I still see him on the stage with shock in his eyes as the presenter stated he would take my student's breath away.

         What is something you have learned from your time on Teachers Pay Teachers?
This is a great community of teachers willing to share with other teachers. I'm amazed at the willingness of other teachers to share tips, points and anything you can imagine. But I shouldn't be amazed because teachers have always been great at sharing and supporting each other.

         What book inspired you as a student?
I love "A Wrinkle in Time." I imagined I was Meg. I was a bit of a nerd and a loner. Meg inspired me to continue with my own uniqueness and talents because we've been given the talents and opportunities we have to make a difference in the world or at least one life.

         What is something you would like to see in the future, for education?
I would love to see technology become more integrated in the classroom. It would be great to see it viewed not as an add-on but as a tool as necessary as pencil and paper.
I would as love to children have more time to think, create, play and learn. It seems we rush them through to much ""stuff"" and not enough time to grow into it.

         What is something fun about you that teachers don't know about you?
I recently learned how to fly a kite. NO, it isn’t the little kite that you fly in the park. It is a GIANT woman killing kite. Imagine hanging on for dear life both feet on the ground to a parachute with winds gusting at, at least 90 miles an hour, maybe just 20. It’s a blast! You are controlling so much power, until the wind forgets to tell you it is ready to gust at 50 miles an hour or something like that. Landing flat on the ground isn’t fun, but the flight is. 
         
          What is an achievement, in education or otherwise, that you have accomplished?
I have recently retired from teaching, not because of age, but because I got married and moved. Fortunately the district I taught in offered an early retirement. But the greatest accomplishment was getting married after waiting for so many years for the right man to come along.

         Your favorite teaching quote is...   
If you can believe it, you can achieve it.

       What is your 'Go To' time filler?          
I love a good game of "Simon Says." My students think it is crazy because we play it in French. (I taught elementary classes, not French.) We would also play Geometry Simon Says or any other crazy version I could think of.

 by 
Donna


Election Day: Exploring the Elections
"At" Sight Words Dominoes



1 comment:

  1. Unlike other your piece of writing has a zeal that matters to your readers.it works according to the needs.teacher resources

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...